A Link Preview is a real-time excerpt of authenticated content that unfurls in Notion when an authenticated user shares an enabled link. Instead of logging in to multiple tools at a time, collaborators can use Link Previews to centralize their work in Notion.
With the Link Previews API, you can set up integrations that share a Link Preview for your product. For example:
- Trello created a Link Preview that unfurls information about a linked task.
- Figma built a Link Preview that shares a linked board’s image preview and corresponding metadata.
- Amplitude created a Link Preview that shares a linked graph in an iFrame along with an interface to modify the graph.
- Slack built a Link Preview that unfurls a linked message’s content and author.
If your customers use Notion, then building a Link Preview can help them to integrate your product into their existing workflows.
A user shares a Link Preview enabled URL. Notion detects enabled URLs based on the settings that you provide when you create the integration. If it’s the first time that a user has shared an enabled URL, then Notion kicks off an auth flow to authenticate with your service. After the user authenticates, Notion and your service exchange tokens that enable your integration to share a Link Preview in the user’s workspace.
Your integration also detects any changes to the data embedded in the Link Preview, and alerts Notion when the Link Preview needs to be updated.
Notion alerts your integration when a Link Preview is deleted, so that your integration can stop listening for updates.
In order to build Link Preview integrations, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Support OAuth 2.0 in your application, or be ready to implement it.
- Own the domain that you’d like to set up with Link Preview enabled URLs.
If you meet these requirements and you’d like to start building with the Link Previews API, then please request access.
In addition to the above, all Link Preview integrations published for distribution require a review from Notion's platform and security teams.
To learn more about the Link Preview end user experience, refer to the guide in the Notion Help Center.
Updated about 14 hours ago